Vazhappu murungai keerai kootu is closely translated as banana flower and drumstick leaves stew. Its a great combination and I remember having this occasionally in my childhood.
Banana flower and Drumstick Leaves are well known for its benefits and unique taste.
- Vazhappu ( Banana flower) -1
- Drumstick leaves-1 bunch
- Shallots-1/2 cup
- Tomato-2 pcs medium size whole
- Green chilli-5 pcs
- Garlic-5 cloves
- Toor dal-1/2 cup
- Moong dal split-1/2 cup
- Curry leaves-1 sprig
- Gingelly oil-2 tbsp
- Whole Dry chilli-3 pcs
- Mustard-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Chilli powder-2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Ghee-2 tsp
- Wash the toor dal and moong dal together then place it in the pressure cooker along with onion, tomato, green chilli, garlic, turmeric powder and little salt
- Meanwhile clean and prepare the banana flower
- Wash and hand pick the drumstick leaves and place it the strainer to drain the water
- Once the dal is boiled mash it lightly
- Add the banana flower and cook for about 10-12 minutes
- Add drumstick leaves, chilli powder and cook it for another 6-8 minutes
- While the leaves are cooking, prepare for the tempering in a separate pan
- Heat up a pan, prepare the tempering with oil, mustard seeds, dry chilli, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add the tempering into the mix and add some ghee on top, and serve along with the steamed rice.
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets