Why you should make this recipe:
“BAO BUNS”..It is one of the most popular street food, which you can find in Taiwan. “BAO” it refers to`”BAOZI”in chinese language which means lotus leaf bun.
The filling which is used in this is usually meat but here,I have used soy chunks ,so the vegans can also try this recipe.
Along with the filling few julienne of vegetables such as carrot ,onion , capsicum can be placed to make it a whole meal in just one bite
For the Bao Buns:
- Yeast – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 2 teaspoon
- Refined flour – 2 cup
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – 2 teaspoon
For the filling :
- Soy chunks -2 cup
- Kashmiri red chillies (or)dry red chillies (soaked in hot water) – 6 to 7 no
- Garlic – 5-6 cloves
- Ginger – a small piece
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper corns – 3 no
- Rice flour – 2 teaspoon
- Refined flour – 2 teaspoon
- Honey – 3 tablespoon
For arranging the bao buns:
- Carrot – 1/2 cup Julienne
- Onion – 1/2 cup sliced
For making Bao Bun
- In a bowl add yeast,1/4 cup water and sugar mix well, keep aside to ferment.
- Add all the dry ingredients such as refined flour, salt, baking powder and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre and add all the wet ingredients such as water, oil and the fermented yeast.
- Knead well till all the ingredients are combined and dough is soft.
- Cover with a wet cloth.
- Keep aside for 1 hour till it doubles in size.
- Once proofed make small lemon sized balls of dough.
- Roll the dough in oval shape where the length is 3 inch.
- Now apply oil over the dough.
- Place the stick/skewer in the middle .
- Fold the dough from one side to other.
- Remove the stick or skewer with care, there should be gap in the middle .
- Transfer folded dough on a piece of parchment or silver foil.
- Allow it to proof for 15 minutes .
- Now steam it either with steaming pot or in oven, where a bowl of water has to be kept along with the proofed buns at 180 degree c. The proofed dough has to be steamed for 5 to 8 minutes.
- The steamed buns can be kept in the steamer to keep it hot ,till the filling is done.
For the filling
- Boil soya chunks , strain and squeeze well.
- Blend the chillies, garlic, ginger, soy sauce ,sugar, salt, pepper corns in a mixer.
- Add the blended mix to soy chunks and keep aside for half an hour.
- To make the soy chunks crispier add the refined flour and rice flour.
- Then shallow fry it.
- Coat the crispy soy chunks with honey.
How to serve?
- Open the bao bun.
- Place the crispy soy chunks on one side.
- Followed by few juliennes of carrot and onion.
- Fold the Bao Bun.