Puttu is a Breakfast dish eaten in south india mainly in Kerala.
In all traditional recipes, rice is used in the dish. Instead of using rice flour, we added red rice flakes and variety of millet which is more aromatic and flavorful than usual puttu.
Millet is highly nutritious and were the considered a poor mans meal for some time. However it has made a comeback as a superfood. If you are considering shifting from rice to millet, I am sure you will not regret it.
I enjoy this recipe with red puffed rice and varieties of millet, because in generally it has a nuttier flavor and aroma to it.
- Roast the millets, red rice flakes, rice flour and peanuts in a separate pan in medium heat until light brown colour.
- Grind the millets and the Peanut to smooth flour.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup water on a rice flakes and mix
- Mix the the millet flour, rice flour and peanut flour with the rice flakes and pour the ghee on it and mix well
- Mix rest of the water and salt with the flour Mix
- Place the mixed flour mix in the puttu cooker Layered with grated coconut.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Millet puttu is ready to be served with jaggery.
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets