Why you should make this recipe:
I saw my mother in law preparing lauki tikki on a warm summer day. I got inspired from and just improved her version by making the tikki as kofta and enriching the gravy by adding little cream.
Lauki (bottle gourd) is high in water content and helps us greatly with its medicinal properties.
Making kofta may consume a little extra time but trust me its worth the time spent while you eat this simple food that is good for you.
Normally in our restaurant kitchen we enrich the gravy by adding cashews paste etc, but here I have used fresh cream and white butter which is easily available in our home kitchens.
For making Koftas:
- Grated Lauki-6 cups
- Besan flour-1 cup
- Turmeric-1 tsp
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Chopped Green chilli- 4-5 pcs
- White butter-1/4 cup
- Garlic- 4 cloves
- Ginger- small piece
- Chopped Chilli- 3 pcs
- Chopped onion- 1 cup
- Tomato puree-1 cup
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cream-3/4 cups
- Wash and peel the whole lauki and immerse in water to avoid oxidation.
- Grate the lauki and remove the excess water by squeezing in your palms
- Do not throw the excess water (we will use this in the gravy later)
- Add the besan (gram flour), chopped chilli, turmeric powder and salt; mix it well
- Divide the mixture into small spheres
- Heat the oil in frying pan and fry the sphere till it is golden brown color
- In a pan heat the white butter add the chop onion, chilli, garlic and ginger; cook them until tender in low heat
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder cook it for a minute
- Add tomato puree and cook for about 5 minutes in medium low heat
- Add water which we took out from the lauki and cook till it reduced to half
- Finish with the cream and check for the seasoning
- Mix the kofta in the gravy and give it a gentle mix
Try to not make the kofta size bigger as this will end up leaving them raw on the inside.
If you feel the koftas are runny even after taking out the water completely; you can adjust it by adding a little gram flour to it.
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets