- Serves: 6
Palak chicken is not my home food and my mother has never cooked it. But, over the years working as a chef, I have enjoyed cooking this dish at home and professionally. Its vegetarian alternative, cooked with paneer is one of the favourites of my son. Probably because my wife keeps it quite mild and green is his favourite colour.
As a dish first thing that comes to our mind about a Palak Chicken is its deep green colour. The moist chicken, hint of heat coming from the spices, creaminess from the pureed spinach and touch of cream used in the recipe and most importantly the aroma of kasuri methi keeps long lasting memories.
- Chicken cut into medium chunks – 6 leg pieces
- Spinach leaves – 5 cups
- Onion chopped – 2 medium
- Tomatoes chopped – 2 medium
- Ginger & garlic paste – 4 tsp
- Yoghurt – 5tbsp
- Ginger julienne – 1 inch piece
- Green Chillies Slit – 3
- Turmeric pwd- 1.5 tsp
- Red Chilli pwd – 1.5 tsp
- Coriander pwd – 1.5 tsp
Cumin pwd – 1.5 tsp
Garam Masala pwd – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Bayleaf – 1 small
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small
- Chopped coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Kasuri methi – 3 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/2
- Oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Double cream – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Boil water with bit of salt.
- Add the washed spinach, cook until the leaves are wilted, drain under cold running water.
- Puree the spinach and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and add all the whole spices, then add the chopped onion and cook until it turns brown.
- Then add the ginger and garlic paste and the powdered spices except for kasuri methi.
- Add a bit of water to allow the spices to mix well and cook until the oil separates from the spices.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they softens.
- Add the chicken and sear them on a high heat
- As the juices from the chicken comes out add the beaten yoghurt, julienne ginger, slit green chillies and salt.
- Mix well, cover and cook on a low flame.
- Cook until tender and check seasoning.
- Finish the dish by adding the kasuri methi, cream and lemon juice
- To serve garnish with julienne ginger and swirls of cream.
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets