Why you should make this recipe:
My mom’s favorite dish is mutton ularthiyathu… . Growing up, this was a regular in our house while guest would come to visit. I remembers when the elders had a round of drinks and this dish, we kids will get a round of coconut water and mutton Ularthiyathu. The combination of coconut in the dish and the sweet coconut water to douse any heat from the spice would make this spicy starter even more appealing.
I learned a lot of cooking skills from her and I was lucky enough to grow up eating amazing homemade food. I do hope you will also enjoy this recipe.
- Mutton – 1 kg
- Onion – 2 no’s
- Small onion – 15 no’s
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 2 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Coconut (pieces)- 2 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger (chopped)- 1tbsp
- Garlic (chopped) – 1 1/2tbsp
- Wash mutton & drain.
- In pressure cooker add mutton & mix with turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder & salt.
- Mix it well, add sliced onion, chopped ginger, garlic & little water. Whistle for 5 sound.
- In a pan add coconut oil, mustard seeds & coconut pieces. Cook till light brown colour.
- Add curry leaves, garlic & shallots cook till golden brown.
- Add cooked mutton along with stock & dry it.
- Add garam masala & pepper powder…
- Cook till dark color & serve hot
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets