- Serves: 4
We Keralites love our Karimeen (pearl spot) in any form. Karimeen Pollichathu is one such traditional delicacy of Kerala that is recommended to majority of the tourists visiting God’s own country. Though we usually prepare Karimeen this way, one can use pomfret or any firm fleshed fish. I have always used this recipe in my kitchen.
The fish is first coated with masala and then wrapped in a banana leaf. This is then pan fried. So the fish cooks with the steam inside the banana leaf and also with the heat from the pan, giving a unique texture to the Karimeen Pollichathu.
Do try it out
- Pearl Spot/Karimeen or pomfret 4 no
- Onion finely chopped 2 cup
- Tomato chopped 1 cup
- Green chilies 5 no
- Ginger finely chopped 1table spoon
- Garlic finely chopped 1 table spoon
- Red chilli powder 3 tsp
- Black pepper powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Lemon 1 no
- Curry leaves few
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil to cook
- Plantain leaf 2 no
- Marinate the fish with red chilly powder, pepper powder, turmeric, lime juice,and salt.
- Keep aside for 10-15 min.
- Heat a pan with 1/2 tsp coconut oil, and lightly sear both sides of fish, probably a two minute.
- In another pan, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil, add in curry leaves.
- Add the onions, green chilly, ginger, and garlic, saute for two minutes.
- Then add in the Red chilly powder, turmeric, pepper powder, salt and mix well.
- Saute it until the tomatoes cook and Switch off the fire and keep aside.
- Lightly heat a plantain leaf on stove top (this is done to make the leaf unbreakable and also gives a nonstick effect which we need for this curry).
- I used a big leaf and then sliced into two. Now to assemble the fish, place one sprig of curry leaf.
- Place half of the masala on top of it. Then place the fish on top of it and place another sprig of curry leaf. And then top it with the rest of the masala.
- Fold in from all 4 sides. And make it into a packet, secure it tightly with a string.
- Heat a tawa with little coconut oil, place the packet on top and simmer the fire for 5-7 min on each side . Serve hot