Inventing dishes for kids is probably the most challenging job that I have faced as a chef. And, you are in a constant pressure of a dis-satisfied guest.
My solution became trying the ideas on my own kids and wife. The later being a blunt critic.
That’s when this idea came of an oven cooked pancake. Very simple, just prepare a regular pancake batter, swirl in some chocolate spread and jam. Cook inside the oven in a cake tin. Kids love it and its quick and easy.
Here I have coupled it with another quick and easy to prepare chocolate & hazelnut mousse.
For the pancake:
- Flour- 3 cups
- Melted Butter- 1/2 cup
- Eggs- 4
- Milk – 2 cups
- Baking pwd – 2tsp
- Sugar – 1cup
- Vanilla – 1tsp
- Strawberry jam – 3 tbsp
- Chocolate spread ( Nutella) – 3 tbsp
For the chocolate mousse:
- Ready made custard- 2 cups
- Chocolate spread ( Nutella)- 5 to 6 tbsp
Butter- 1.25 cups
- Double cream – 1 cup
- Vanilla – 1tsp
- Sugar powdered – 4 tbsp
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Mix all the ingredients of the pancake except for the jam and chocolate spread into a smooth batter, very similar to regular pancake batter.
- Transfer the batter into a cake tin and swirl in the jam and the chocolate spread.
- Bake at 175°c in a pre heated oven for around 45 min or until its fully cooked.
- Allow the pancake to cool.
For the mousse:
- Heat the custard and the butter in a bowl ( use a microwave, it will quick and easy)
- Mix in the chocolate spread until smooth.
- Wipe the cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks are formed.
- Fold in the cream in the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mix into serving cups or bowls, allow to set in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours
- Dust with cocoa powder.
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets