Dal makhani or dal makhni is a dish originating from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. The primary ingredients are whole black lentils, butter and cream. The dish gets its richness from the use of cream or butter, but in some recipes I have seen people add yogurt and milk as well or completely avoid dairy.
Like with most Indian food, you can decide how you want the final product.
- Black dal 1 kg
- Tomato puree 1 kg
- Ginger Garlic paste 1 tbs
- White butter 500 gm
- Yellow butter 500 gm
- Cream 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Dry methi power 1/2 teaspoon
- Deggi mirch 1 teaspoon
- Soak dal at least 6 hours. Wash nicely and boil it well.
- Keep on top a tawa over night over a very slow flame to gently cook the lentils. or (use the pressure cooker give a 6 whistle if in a hurry)
- Once the dal is cooked, make a tempering with ginger garlic paste and chilli powder. Cook well till the raw aroma of chilly powder is gone.
- Then add tomato puree and cook it well.
- Cook the dal until it is almost mashed
- Then add both butter and keep stirring till it melts. Check the seasoning.
- Finish with dry methi power and cream.
- Garnish with cream and melted butter.
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets