Indian Chinese food is probably the second most popular cuisine in our country. A very close number two to the mother cuisine. We all love it.
This recipe comes under the same genre of Indo- Chinese cuisine. I worked in India for around 4 years and picked up bit of that style. Never mastered the art. But, my love for this masterful blend of two cuisines has always remained on top of the chart.
Today after so many years of working as a professional chef, I still try to replicate some of those learning while inducing a bit of my own experience.
Aarush, my son loves our style of Chinese food. It’s very tasty. Some how we Indians know the art of enhancing the taste of food. And, probably that’s the most important skill of cooking.
In this recipe, I have deep fried the chicken drumsticks while giving it a crispy outside and tossed it in a sweet yet spicy sauce with ginger, garlic, soy and scallions. Aarush calls it ‘yummy spicy’.
- Chicken drumsticks – 4
- Ginger and garlic paste – 2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soya sauce dark- 1tbsp
- Vinegar- 1tsp
- Msg- 1tsp (optional)
- Egg- 1/2
- Cornflour- 2 to 3 tbsp
Rice flour can be added along with cornflour. It will give a crispier texture.
- Oil to deep fry
For the sauce:
- Oil- 2 to 3 tbsp
- Chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies- 2 tsp
- Tomato ketchup- 4tbsp
- Chilli pwd- 1tsp
Msg – 1tsp(optional)
- Dark soya sauce- 1tbsp
- Vinegar- 1tsp
- Spring onion- 1/4 cup
- Sesame seeds- 1tsp
Preparing the chicken drumsticks:
- Place the drumsticks on the chopping board, with the feet side facing your right hand.
- Using the pointed edge of a sharp knife cut through the tissues holding the flesh to the bone.
- Roll the meat towards the other side until it resembles a stick of a drum.
- Shave off the excess meat of the bone.
Marinating the chicken:
- Mix in the salt, ginger and garlic paste, msg, dark soy, vinegar, egg and cornflour with the chicken.
- Massage the marinade within the meat and keep refrigerated for atleast an hour.
- Deep fry the chicken drumsticks keeping in mind the meat should be rolled in to the front.
- Fry until crispy on the outside and golden brown in color.
To prepare the sauce:
- Heat oil in a wok and add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Cook until slightly brown and then add the tomato ketchup and red chilli pwd.
- Add half a cup of water and mix in the salt, vinegar, msg and dark soy.
- Adjust the consistency of the sauce.
- Toss the deep fried chicken in the sauce finishing with the spring onions.
- To serve wrap up the chicken bones with aluminium foils and present garnished with chopped spring onions and toasted sesame seeds.
In this Recipe
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets