Why you should make this recipe:
One of the most popular, wholesome and comforting dish which can be eaten any time of the day.Bisi-Bele-Bath translates to hot lentil rice in the Kannada language. It is also known as Bisi Bele Huliyanna, which means “hot lentil sour rice”.It is also rightly called as one pot meal as it contains lentils, vegetables and rice.No other dish from India’s southern state of Karnataka can rival the fame of bisi bele bath. This dish was invented in the Mysore Palace 300 years ago as a vegetable free piping hot dish.Mysoreans say the dish is theirs and it originated within the Wodeyar palace first as a non-vegetable dish with a different taste and ingredients such as cloves, Turmeric, Tamarind, cashew nuts, dried coconut, mustard seeds and cinnamon.Slowly, vegetables, peanuts etc began to be added and the bhat in its present shape and form came off the stove. It then traveled all the way from the palace to Udupi where it received further upgrades.
- Rice- 1 cup
- Toor dal- 1/2 cup
- Carrot- 1 big no.diced
- Beans- 8 to 10 nos. diced
- Green peas- 50g
- peanuts 50g
- Potato- 1 no. medium sized diced
- Knol khol 1no medium diced
- Salt- 2 teaspoon
- Jaggery – 1tbs
- Tamarind pulp- 30ml
- Bisi bele bath powder- 4tbs
- Ghee- 2 to 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- few
- Cashews- few
- Pressure cook toor dal adding about a glass of water, for about 3 whistles.
- Make sure the lentils are not mushy. Pressure Cook rice too and keep it ready.
- Heat sauce pan adding chopped veggies like carrot, knol khol,beans, potato, peanuts and green peas. Cook them adding enough water. Add jaggery, tamarind pulp and let all veggies cook till soft.
- Once all the vegetables are cooked toor dal, salt and bisi bele bath powder. Add 2 more cups of water and let it boil.
- When it is still boiling , add cooked rice and mix well.
- For Tempering
- Heat pan adding ghee, mustard seeds, split black gram lentil and curry leaves, when mustard seeds splutter, add cashew nuts. Stir for a while and switch off.
- Add tempering to bisi bele bath
- Bisi bele bath is ready. Serve it along with potato chips or boondi
Purchase from Amazon
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets