- Serves: 10
This delicious snack from Kerala. One of my favourite “Nalumani Palaharam” (tea time snacks) while growing up. Though it’s considered as a tea time snack, I used to have it for breakfast and lunch also. During my childhood days, whenever there was a big family get together, Aval Vilayichathu was one of the regular items. Since it can be made in advance and stored, it was always a go to recipe for huge gatherings. It’s always a good snack to have when you’ve a battalion of hungry kids to feed 🙂
- Flattened rice – 500 gm
- Coconut – 3 no’s ( grated)
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Jaggery – 3/4 gm
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- Fried gram dal – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nut – 3 tbsp
- Raisins – 2 tbsp
- Slightly heat flattened rice for 5 minutes in low flame
- Heat water & jaggery to make jaggery syrup. Make sure jaggery syrup should be watery not in single string consistency..
- Heat grated coconut for 5 minutes in low flame & add jaggery water.
- After boiling keep coconut on sides of pan & add flattened rice, mix with jaggery water till wet.then mix with coconut also.
- Add cardamom powder, & fried gram dal, cashew nut & raisins mix well…