Potatoes are common all over the world and aloo jeera probably the simplest and most popular potato dish all over India. As such, every part of our country will have their own version of making it. Probably we call it with different names.
In this recipe I have topped it with some garlic spinach and a poached egg to elevate this very simple dish. So this traditional side dish can now be served as a starter. The colour combination from the green spinach and white poached egg gives this aloo jeera a new dimension of texture and consistency. The runny egg yolk as it drops into the plate works like a sauce holding the dish together, also mellowing down the heat coming from the actual aloo jeera.
For aloo jeera:
- Boiled diced potatoes – 1.5
- Chopped onion – 1/2
- Chopped tomato – 1/2
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1tsp
- Turmeric pwd – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli pwd- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin pwd- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander pwd- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2tsp
- Chopped ginger- 1 tsp
- Chopped green chillies – 1tsp
- Chopped coriander – 1tbsp
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Salt – to taste
For garlic spinach:
- Chopped garlic – 1tsp
- Spinach chopped – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
For poached egg:
- Eggs – 2
- Vinegar – 1tsp
- Salt – to taste (sprinkle)
- Crushed black peppercorn – 1/2 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onion and look until glossy, then add the ginger and garlic paste, chopped tomatoes and the powdered spices.
- Add little bit of water, allowing the spices to mix and cook properly.
- Add salt, chopped ginger, chillies and coriander leaves.
- Then add the potatoes, increase the heat and toss until well combined.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the garlic and cook until light brown.
- Add the washed spinach.
- Season and cook.
- Put it on a kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Boil water in a sauce pan and add the vinegar.
- Drop in the eggs and poach making sure the yolk remains runny in the centre.
- It will take 2-3 minutes
- To plate – dish out potatoes on the centre of the plate. Using a mould will be helpful.
- Top it up with the cooked spinach and the poached egg as in the photograph.
In this Recipe
How to make Poached egg
Subscribe to our Weekly Recipe Newsletter
Recipes from Professional chefs sharing their secrets